The summer is almost over and I haven't posted a thing. A lot has happened though. I had to put a few things on hold for a while so I could focus on my new apartment and current job. Now I'm back and ready for action! Stay tuned; I might even add another post tonight!
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Posted by Janelle Thomas at 10:13 PM
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
I find that my reading preferences change every summer. This year, I am reading self improvement books peppered with chick lit. The book I am most interested in is "The C Student's Guide to Success" written by Ron Bilwas. I am going to use the next few blog posts to feature my responses to a few of the chapters in his book. I welcome any discussions on the topics I pick.
See you online,
Posted by Janelle Thomas at 6:41 PM
Friday, April 2, 2010
Today is my birthday!!! It's been one crazy year since my last one, I don't really know what is in store for me for the next. This year, I will complete my undergraduate degree, search for a new full time job and plan to move out on my own.
It seems that, unlike some or many my age, I see these things as huge obstacles ready to trip me up and pull me down as soon as I approach them. I am faced with mountains of uncertainty: What if I don't find a good job? or even a crappy one? Where am I going to live? What if I haven't done enough these last few years of college to mean something to an employer, or even my parents?
One thing is for certain, though. My generation, for all its flaws and self deserving attitudes, is flexible. And, as a member of this generation, I can take those risks and venture out into the unknown. So, as I get older and gain more responsibility, what is there to be afraid of? Opportunity? My pop culture professor said yesterday, "The hardest thing about writing is the beginning. You have to call the whole world into existence on your page." I have nothing but beginnings ahead of me and the hardest part is only to keep moving forward. I have done my best in school and work. I am creative. And I am ready for the future!
Happy Birthday, indeed!
Posted by Janelle Thomas at 3:12 AM
Friday, February 19, 2010
Happy HAPPO! Thanks to Arik Hanson and Valerie Simon for creating a wonderful day dedicated to Help a PR Pro Out. In honor of the first ever HAPPO day, I am dedicating my blog to say why you should help this young PR pro land a job.
1. Creativity - In today's society, everything is about branding and your company needs some one can generate fresh, new ideas and images in order to connect with your public and keep your organization from blending into the media clutter. In all of my school projects and in real world application, I have jumped at the chance to provide logos, colors, fonts and styles for a group or business to use.
2. Ingenuity - I keep a constant eye out for new media, and I am not afraid to look for new ways to showcase your brand. Social media is more than a hobby for me: it is critical to keeping your company relevant to your demographic. I understand that every organization does not need every social media platform, but I do believe I am the best one to help you decide which ones will best serve you.
4. Teamwork - I thrive in teams and groups. I enjoy the feedback and added insight that comes with working in groups. I can be accountable to meet not only the overall deadline when I work alone, but also the more frequent group-oriented deadlines.
As stated in my title, after graduation in May, the world will be open to me. I look forward to enjoying employment at your business, no matter if it is in Portland, Seattle, DC, New York City, or still at home in Charlotte. You can find out more about me on my LinkedIn Profile and you can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted by Janelle Thomas at 12:22 PM
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
It has been more than a month since my last blog post. I have recently began reading Angela England's blog series 10 Habits of Successful Blogging, but how can I, in good conscience, read her blog and not put an honest effort into generating content for mine?
Therefore, I present to you my resolutions for 2010 (as pertains to social media)
1) post regularly
I will post every Tuesday night, so look for my post on Wednesday mornings.
2) Become a more active participant in other blog comments.
This was one of the assignments from the first habit
3) Spend more time on other networking sites OTHER than Twitter
Each week I will focus on different social media platforms and report my progress.
This week I am going to concentrate on my ning.com profiles (I have three) and Google Wave.
If you want to see how I'm doing in between posts, you can follow me.
And my three ning.com profiles are on the Social Fresh Community and Charlotte Communication Professionals
Happy (social) Networking!